Agecroft Hall & Gardens is a 23 acre estate featuring a Tudor house originally built c. 1500 in England and transported to Richmond in 1926. Now a museum, owned and operated by The Agecroft Association, the house highlights daily life in a 17th century English manor house. A variety of gardens designed by Charles Gillette surround the house and feature traditional English elements and plants. Agecroft Hall is open to the public six days a week and hosts the Richmond Shakespeare Festival in the summer.
Position Title: Horticulturist
Reports To: Head of Horticulture and Maintenance
Job Summary: Responsible for the care and maintenance of the turf, trees, shrubs, vegetables, and flowers at Agecroft Hall & Gardens. Maintains upkeep of parking areas, sidewalks, and other public areas. Assists with maintenance projects as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the cultivation and care of all turf, trees, shrubs, vegetables and flowers as directed. Mows and edges turf. Rakes leaves seasonally. Prunes ornamental trees and shrubs. Required to assist in production greenhouse.
- Responsible for the cleaning/weeding of all drives and walks. Participates in snow removal as required for keeping grounds safe for staff and visitors.
- Assists the horticultural staff with garden projects including weeding, watering, clearing storm debris and other tasks as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining hardscape and working with contractors when necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining a variety of equipment including power equipment. Responsible for assisting with maintenance projects as needed.
- Assists with set up and clean up for Special Events and other activities when requested.
- Attends related meetings and professional classes to maintain mandatory certifications and to upgrade skills and knowledge.
- Assists other departments including Education, Curatorial, and Tour Services as needed.
Job Specifications: A.S. degree or better in Horticulture or related field preferred. Strong mechanical aptitude and work ethic. Good oral communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work well on a team or independently. Work experience with museums or public gardens strongly preferred.
Working Conditions: Exposed to all weather conditions. Stooping, kneeling, bending and lifting up to 50 lbs. required. Regular weekend work and occasional evening, and holiday work required.
Apply: Send application to firstname.lastname@example.org